Monday 21 May 2012

Overheard.

Setting: London train, early-evening rush-hour.

A passenger's phone rings.

Woman: 'Right, I am on the train - I need you to sort dinner before I get back.'

Man: Questionable gruntle...

Woman: 'Oh for Chr*st's sake! We have been married for 35 years and you still don't know how to make a bloody bowl of spaghetti?! Boil the water and put it in, it's not rocket science!'

Man: Questionable gruntle...

Woman: 'Sauce?! POUR THE BLOODY BOTTLE ONTO THE PASTA!'

Phone-call complete.

Woman: 'Bloody men...'

Amidst the chuckles of the surrounding travel-goers, I noted that this was only one of the number of similar conversations I have bared witness too as I have traveled too and from London during peak-traveling time. When asked to lend a helping hand at a bank in the city, I was reluctant as my feelings towards rush-hour train journeys are not held with high regards. Being the wee, fit lass that I am, I am almost always pinged with that feeling of self-guilt when I see someone older than me standing throughout the journey as I, relish in the comfort that is the beauty of a chair after a long-days work. As I give up my seat (with much hesitation) I begin the wonderful process of people-watching.

Oh how I adore a spot of people-watching!

Not only do I note peoples questionable office fashion-wear (I find a secret pleasure in the ol' power-suit and sneakers combo), but I notice those who gravitate towards their phones and those who know, that although there is no sign pointing out that phones should not be of use whilst traveling, conversations are best had when the whole world is not lending an ear. Don't get me wrong, it is not like I black-list anyone who does engage in a phone conversation or two whilst using public transport. I get that for some it is the only time during their day when they might actually be able to have a conversation without the presence of a nagging colleague or a sticky-fingered child. For some, traveling on the train is a momentary escape. As the world rushes by you, you get a wee break before you enter the doors of life again.
Why not take pleasure in other peoples phone conversations? How many times have you flashed a smile to a complete stranger as you both note that Passenger X will be visiting his mother in Cornwall this weekend and 'He doesn't care if she doesn't like her, they have been married for 15 years and she is his wife and mother to his children.'

Someone should really write a book about funny conversations 'over-heard on public transport.'
Because I would buy that!

1 comment:

  1. You should write the book about it - sounds like you've already got a gem with the dinner conversation. :)

    Your blog design is so pretty and simple - I just love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and thanks for reading!

Have a fabulous day :)

xo Christine